"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Monday 5 December 2011

Memories of when I was young

I received an e-mail today which takes me straight back to my childhood.  I have to share it :)  It highlights what is shortchanged in my life.  I'm a grandmother - but I only have one apron.

Given my useless sewing skills, I reckon I'll have to make one of Jane's :)  I reckon she has the most eco-friendly method which uses no electricity whatsoever - just what I like :)

Now... all I have to find are alligator clips...!




The History of 'APRONS'


Note: it says Medium size 14  -16
They are the smallest 14 - 16 inch
waists I have ever seen LOL
The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few. It was also because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons used less material. But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold Grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables.  After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the autumn, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.


REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool.
Her granddaughters' set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.

I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron - but love...



When the power of love overcomes the love of power, there will be peace.

13 comments:

  1. I never thought of that--I suppose they would be germy....but I think we ALL survived and I think most of that paranoia about germs comes from manufacturers of cleaning products. And now, germs seem to be getting the better of us.
    I'd love to wear an apron, but find myself always forgetting. It would be so useful for SO many things...it's like an extra set of hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In agree with Sue total germ paranoia. Kids today have so many disorders, ADHD etc.,I do wonder if its down to the vast amount of chemicals they get sprayed with either on purpose or just passing by.
    Bet they are not allowed to make mud pies anymore. I dont wear an apron but I should!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those germs just inoculated the kids and boosted their germ fighting immunities :) I have my grandma's apron, and rolling pin, and silver plated 'silverware' .. most of all, good memories and love instilled long ago. Thanks for sharing such a great tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love aprons. Your post is so true, they come in handy for so much. A craft or hardware store should have those clips, or I bet you could fashion a clothes pin to do the same. If anyone can make it work, it's you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say the increase in asthma is because children's immune systems don't develop resistance to mild germ exposure. I won't use antibacterial household or skin products. Only if a doctor prescribes antibiotics for good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sew and I make aprons but all my aprons have been made by others! It may be time for me to make myself a custom apron or two as at 157cm(5'2") my existing aprons are all too long somewhere.
    Dani, if you email me your address and your height I could gift you an apron in the New Year...1 main pocket, a divided main pocket or 2 side pockets in the skirt part?
    Calico(muslin) of course!
    Cheers, Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading that! Sometimes I think I was born 100 years too late, ah well Ill just have to make my own traditional farm house with old fashioned values :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dani, I loved this post. My grandma always wore an apron and I learned to wear one from her. Not because of any shortage of clothes, but because I'm a sloppy cook!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I also LOVE this post! So true! I'm with Astra...I was born too late! I have two aprons (both acquired within the last year) and I can only hope to build a few of the above mentioned memories within their threads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sue - I reckon we're too focused on germ prevention - but I also reckon that is because companies want to sell their unnecessary 'antiseptic' products.

    Jill - Welcome :) Think all of us ladies should wear an apron - it's just so useful LOL

    Mrs Mac - Exactly! Would love to see a pic of your grandma's things :)

    Jane - I'm going to check. Probably not in our village - I'll probably only find it over the mountain...

    Diana - You've got the right idea :)

    Robyn - That is soooo sweet of you - thank you. But I couldn't. You have no idea what overseas postage costs LOL But thank you - I really appreciate the offer :)

    Astra - I also reckon I was born too late. All things Edwardian / Victorian appeal to me :)

    Leigh - LOL I'm also a member of the sloppy cook club!

    Bee Girl - Clever girl. One apron to wear while the other one is in the wash. Now why can't I be that organised?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post Dani!! Unfortunately I don't have memories of my grandmother with an apron or cooking, she was already elderly.

    However my mom wears aprons since she has to cook for her lazy daughter :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.