"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Wednesday 1 February 2012

High flying pumpkin

I planted five or six pumpkin plants in my town garden this year.


A couple were planted in a straw bale - my three week absence (a.k.a. lack of water) took care of those.


And I planted one in neat compost in a deep pot - right next to a sprinkler head LOL. (the little "wall" constructed behind the plant catches the water from the sprinkler and drops it into the pot - works perfectly :)  RMan reckons I have great "squatter" potential).
Pumpkin in a pot
This one has gone walkabout into the (thick) bushes behind - if anything actually grows, the good Lord knows how I will ever be able to harvest anything...


Finally, next to my town veggie hut I dug a shallow hole, filled it with compost, and shoved two seeds in.  One survived - obviously a case of survival of the fittest :)
A pumpkin plant in a compost filled hole
But - this is a special one - it has aspirations beyond the norm.  Or perhaps someone has been feeding it a Redb*ll energy drink - I don't know how, for we don't have any of those in the house.  It started growing along the ground, like any normal pumpkin would.  Then it grabbed a low branch on the pomegranate tree...
Growing wings... Up...
And took flight...
Up...
Higher and higher...
And away...
I hope it stays on this side of the fence :)
Can you see the little pumpkin suspended
in mid air - no sooner had I spotted it

than it got stung, turned black and fell off
The funny thing is both (the pot, and high flying one) of these pumpkin's  leaves show no major signs of mildew.  That's a first for me.  I don't know if it's because the one is growing, and the other one is planted, above ground?  Don't care - just loving the novelty of a mature pumpkin plant or two :)


Will either of these two plants actually grow a feasible pumpkin?  I'll let you know...

8 comments:

  1. I've had pumpkins climb fences of all heights and though I never put support under the pumpkins, they managed to hold the weight and produce. I'm a firm believer that those left to themselves usually are the better producers, and less diseased. But, I still like to "kill em' with kindness"-LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue - I can see all sorts of clinging threads supporting the plant. I'm sure they will help - if it produces any pumpkins :)

      I fear I, too, kill my plants with kindness...

      Delete
  2. Wouldn't that be a sight to see pumpkins 'growing' from a tree :)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Mac - If it happens, I promise I'll post a pic :)

      Delete
  3. Well you wont accept defeat! That is an admirable quality:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane - LOL - some call it stubbornness ;)

      Delete
  4. I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award. I really enjoy what you do and it's important that I want to share it with those that follow me. You can read it here:

    http://twomenandalittlefarm.blogspot.com/2012/02/versatile-blogger.html

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1st Man - Thanks very much for the compliment :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.