"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Friday 28 March 2014

Let there be music

Apologies for my absence this week - I've had laptop issues.  When I turned on the laptop I got the message: "The User Profile Service service failed the logon.  User profile cannot be loaded."  Turns out some update has altered something.  Now, I'm nervous when it comes to fiddling with Windows Registry, which is what I have to do to resolve the problem, so I have to wait until I can get together with my S-i-L for him to have a go.  He's an IT boff, thank goodness.

So, in the meantime, I've switched on the business PC and am doing this blog entry from there.  I like to keep business and pleasure separate normally, and also try not to use the PC too often as it does guzzle more power than the laptop.

With that explained, down to business...


For those of you who were following my blog during the sale of our town house, you'll recall that I was horrified at the thought getting rid of all our 33.3 inch long playing records.  What you don't know is that I didn't :)

There are just so many memories wrapped up in those LP's.

I placed them in a cardboard box.

But - I couldn't ditch them.

And neither could RMan ditch his amplifier, CD player and turntable.  We figured that they would just consume too much of our stored solar power.

So - they were schlepped with us to the farm.

And they stayed in their packaging, which slowly got more and more covered in dust and other items.  Isn't it funny how a surface - any surface - immediately becomes a possible repository for something - anything.

Well, a week or so ago, we were feeling reminicient.

That resulted in RMan hauling the hi-fi equipment into the lounge, placing it in the empty cupboard which had been "in waiting", putting it all together and plugging it in.
Only 129 watts is required to run our amp and CD
player
Tee Hee!

The amp and CD player only consumed 129 watts of power.  The amp and the belt driven record player must consume less than that!
Good music being played through decent speakers)
is wafting (or should that be belting) through the
house again :)  Now, as the volume will be sufficient,
I can once again sing in my tuneless voice
whilst I'm doing the housework, and, hopefully,
nobody will be able to hear me.
The record player is already connected, so now all I have to do is find the box of LP's, bring it into the house, find somewhere in the house to store the LP's and we're definitely back in business.

Happy Days :)

10 comments:

  1. hang on a minute, missy...i can hear your tuneless voice all the way to canada!!! no worries tho, i'll be singing with you in my screechy-high-pitched voice. maybe together we'll somehow sound melodic! i am glad that you are going to be able to play your music. i used to like to play music during the day when doing housework, but now i just really love to hear the ocean and the birds. but every few nights me and jam decide to go up and play some of our favourite tunes on our computer on our itunes. some nights, it's very calm and we really enjoy just listening to some of our favourite songs. some nights turn into quite the party, tho, if you know what i mean - bahahahahah! again, i am glad that you got your music back!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I pray you can't - that must be murder...!

      I have an abhorrence for housework, as no sooner have I thoroughly and in an OCD manner cleaned the hosue than RMan or the dawg walk in with muddy footprints, thereby undoing 2 - 3 hours of gym. So, anything that takes my mind off what a waste of time it is, the better I clean and the sooner I finish...

      S'funny, when I lived on my own, many, many, many years ago, I loved a clean, organised and orderly place. Add a husband and a dawg and everything's changed LOL

      Thank goodness the ducks can't get into the house...

      Delete
  2. I had that same thing happen on my lap top. I paid someone to fix the problem because since I lost my dear husband 15 months ago, I no longer have a computer geek.

    Glad you got your 'antique' gear hooked up and I hope you found your box of records to have some good music playing for you to sing and dance to.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flower Lady - My sincere condolences on your loss. That must have been / must still be very hard.

      I subsequently found out that the boff wouldn't be back until Sunday, so I climbed in and played with the Regedit myself. Seems to be working, so I guess I got it right... LOL

      Oh - the "antique gear" is a treat - sopmehow the music has more depth and clarity - and yes, I found the LP's :)

      Delete
  3. I have a lot of old equipment too. I figure, as long as it works and serves it's purpose, it's relationship to the state of the art scale is unimportant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry - Exactly. though I have to say, trying to find a stylus these days isn't that easy...

      So - we'll just have to be extra careful with the one we have ;)

      All those Golden Oldies which we can once again listen to - magic. Absolutely magic :)

      Delete
  4. Here comes the sun..do do do do Here comes the sun and I say... Its all right

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Little Darling - It's gonna be a long, cold lonely winter..." So what better to have than some good Golden Oldies LOL

      Delete
  5. Ah. Groovin' to the Oldies. Sure makes housework a lot more palatable! You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris - Oldies and Goldies indeed - they were produced when music was still music :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.