"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Sunday 11 September 2011

Creamed spinach recipe

Leigh asked me if I'd care to share my Creamed Spinach recipe.


Well, here it is.  It's dead easy:


You need a nice large bunch of fresh spinach from your garden.
Soak it to remove any grains of sand.  Shake dry.


If the ribs are very thick, remove them.  Otherwise just "roll" up / bunch up the leaves together with the rib and chop finely.


Pour 250 - 300ml (just over a cup) of milk in a saucepan.  Add a knob of butter (about a tablespoon), a grind of salt and pepper and a sprinkling of nutmeg as required.  I like nutmeg so I have quite a heavy hand when adding it to the milk.


Bring the above to the boil.


Meanwhile, add a couple of teaspoons of Maizena (cornflour) to a small container and add enough water to make a thick mixture.  When the contents of the pan are at boiling point, add the cornflour mixture, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thick and bubbling.


Alternatively, if you know how to make a roux with flour and butter, then that should be done before adding the milk, S&P and ground nutmeg.  Then boil gently, stirring constantly, until it is thick and bubbling like a witches cauldron :)


Then add 62.5mls (1/4 cup) to 125mls (1/2 cup) of fresh cream and your finely chopped spinach, and turning down the heat to low, cook for 4 - 5 minutes stirring gently to prevent it catching on the base of the pan.


If you like, you could add some grated cheese, or feta cheese to the mixture - stirring it in just prior to serving.
Creamed spinach and egg
Enjoy :)


To all those who were affected by the horrific events of 2001 - my thoughts and prayers are with you.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. It sounds delicious. And quite easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane - Very easy - basically it's fresh spinach in a white sauce - with some cream and cheese added for extra richness :) Trust me - very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, that does sound quite delicious. Our spinach should be ready in another couple weeks...can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dani my mouth is watering just from reading the recipe, LOL. Thank you so much. Looks so easy and I must definitely grow some spinach. I'm excited because I have the dairy ingredients via my goats. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr H - Let me know please... :)

    Leigh - Spinach is sooo easy to grow. And goats milk / cream / feta will be delicious with it.


    By the way, you can also add chopped fried mushrooms to this recipe, or you could stuff cooked giant mushrooms with it as well. Merely sprinkle the creamed spinach with breadcrumbs and brown under the grill before serving :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love creamed spinach and will add some fried mushrooms next time I make it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.