"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Monday 24 March 2014

A drop of water...


Last Saturday was international water day.

Without water we have no life.  Everyone knows that.

I received the following e-mail from WWF last week:


Hi there, I'm Droplet, but my friends call me Drop. I'd like to share with you a story about my epic journey. Like most interesting tales, it began one stormy afternoon. I found myself hurtling out of the sky towards the earth at break-neck speed. Down I rained, withthousands of other droplets, torpedoing into a little stream far below. The current caught us and I felt like I had entered a super waterslide. Sploshing and splashing, I twisted down the stream into a river. Just as I became accustomed to the twisting river, we came to an unexpected stop in a large body of water. I felt dazed, confused and dirty after my long journey. But the journey had just begun…
As I floated with others like me, feeling sick and travel weary, I was channelled through a canal into gravity pipelines, towards a water treatment plant. I was sure I would suddenly evaporate into the atmosphere, from exhaustion and heat, like so many of my newfound friends. Was my journey going to end before it had really started? In my anxiety, I recall floating through a giant screen. That heavy, grimy, sick feeling seemed to lift from me. Most of the large pieces of dirt that had collected on me during my travels through the river had been left behind. I felt cleaner, happier, but not yet 100%. Who knew water purification could be this exciting?
As abruptly as we had arrived at the treatment plant, we were immersed in chlorine and filtered through silica sands and pebbles which disinfected us from harmful micro-organisms and any leftover debris. I thought the best had come and gone, as I tumbled into a reservoir. Just as I started to get comfortable, we were sucked into a pipeline that travelled underground towards the big city. My journey had finally reached its climax as I burst out of a tap into a giant white tub. A person got into it, bathed and then collected us into a bucket and threw us onto flower beds in a garden.
Finally some resting time, I thought, as I nestled into the soil, drifting off to sleep in the hot sun. I vaguely remember becoming weightless and evaporating as the flowers around me bloomed. I knew that my journey had not come to an end but that a new adventure was waiting for me in the clouds from where I had come…

Thank you for reading the inspiring story of 'Drop'. Water doesn't come from a tap. To find out where your water comes from, go to www.journeyofwater.co.za
If you go to http://www.journeyofwater.co.za, you'll be taken to this page on their web site:
Click on the blue "Locate" button below "Find your nearest water source" - you'll be amazed at the facts and figures they provide.

Reading their "10 ways to save water" - inspiring!  Help spread the word - please...

4 comments:

  1. I'm fortunate to have a well. We have only national forest around us, so there's no one to pollute the ground water. I also have a spring that bubbles up to the surface on my land, and there's a good creek, wide and deep, as well. I certainly value water and keep a great deal of it stored on site, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry - We thought of putting down a borehole, but with the fracking which is about to start in the Karoo we firgured that it probably would have a long lifespan.

      Love the thought of a spring, or creek, oon this property... :)

      Delete
  2. Great post Dani! My wife and I were just checking out your blog and had a quick question. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance. Thanks! - Cam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cameron - Welcome and thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

      I'll gladly answer your question if I'm able - please ask here, or e-mail me - my address is above in the right hand column :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.