"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Thursday 26 March 2015

Planned obsolescence - or sheep to the slaughter...?

RMan and I watched the first episode of "The men who make us spend" on TV last night.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20j885_the-men-who-made-us-spend-episode-1_creation
We were horrified at what seriously low depths manufacturers have stooped to to get us to buy their products so that they, and their shareholders, can make a profit.

We have literally become a willing race of lambs being led to the slaughter - all because mankind has been programmed to "must have" the latest version of whatever...

... and it has a name: "Planned obsolescence"

Talk about manipulation.

And, this first episode deals with how manufacturers of electronic items signed a mutual agreement to pre-programme their products to stop working after a specific time period so that you have to purchase another item, and if the product lasts longer than the programmed time, how they were / are fined for breaching the agreement - and this was specifically with the original light globes - Osram, GEC, etc.



The show also reveals what happens to all those perfectly repairable unwanted "old" models.

The good news is that there is a company in the US of A that repairs those supposedly unfixable gadgets - they can be found here:  http://ifixit.org/ and for locals in this country : http://ifix.co.za/contact/

Please - support ifixit.com and look for alternatives before you rush out to buy new because your phone / printer / electric toothbrush, etc have stopped working...

I can't wait to see what the other episodes reveal...

8 comments:

  1. I often wondered about this.
    I bought all new appliances 7 years ago. Each and every one of them died last year. And of course, with all the fancy electronic this and that on them, they would cost too much to repair. I'm angered beyond belief at what is going on in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue - Yeah - it makes me mad too. This is just one example of how big corporations are playing with peoples lives. There is more than enough poverty and debt in this world without adding false, inflated company profits to the mix...

      Personally, I'm glad I don;t have any shares in any company on the stock exchange. I would be guilty by association / default if I did, and I knew this, and I continued to hold those shares.

      Delete
  2. That would explain why I have acquired three kindles in less than two years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry - Sounds like you need to find the closest branch of iFixIt...!

      Delete
  3. It is sad that we cannot depend on anything to last. Years ago, there was a smoke detector in a house I bought. The battery was gone but there was a number listed where you could order a new one. When I called to place an order, I was told they no longer made that model - because it lasted too long! When I bought my newest computer, I was encouraged to buy an extended warranty - because computers always have problems after 2-3 years of service. It has gotten to the point where I feel paralyzed when it comes time to make a large purchase - go for the more expensive, "durable" model hoping that it will last or buy the cheapest one knowing you'll be replacing it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherie - We should not be placed in this position. Surely manufacturers should have a legal responsibility to ensure that, if we are willing to fork out for their product, we should be able to do so knowing that they are giving us their best...?

      Delete
  4. Unfortunately we live in a world of greed and corruption. I truly believe that the only long term hope is what Dani and a few thousand of us are doing (living off the grid, collecting water and growing our own food). With that said, maybe I'm wrong and a turnaround will happen, and we won't destroy all living creatures on the earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlin - Only a major catastrophe will, I fear, jolt mankind into acknowledging their responsibility and changing their over abundant lifestyle in to one that restrains selfish "excess" and unnecessary waste.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.